Monday, February 17, 2014

About Communication

What do you expect to learn from the podcast project? (List as many as you can.)

1.Where can we find Japanese food.
2.How many kinds of Japanese food can we find in NYC.
3.What kind of food is the most popular one.
4.The skills to make a video.
5.How to do teamwork.
6.The skills to communicate with my teammates.
7.How to tell people our purpose of this video.
8.How to arrange our time.



What does "communication" mean to you?

Communication is very important in my daily life.
In last semester, I couldn’t speak English fluently.(I doubt whether I can speak English fluently now _(:з」∠)_ )It’s difficult for me to communicate with other students. Usually, I kept silent, which made me seem strange or even a little arrogant. However, the fact was that talking with people made me nervous ; ;
Without communication, I couldn’t make myself understood.

Communication is a good way for people to learn from others.
There is a historical theory named “contact zone.”In this zone, people from different countries or influenced by different cultures can have a chance to communicate with each other. Because of this zone, the West and the East can meet each other. 

What’s the meaning of this theory to me?
Well, I am interested in Asian History and Asian History is my academic field. This theory is very useful when I do my research. And also, this theory can be improved.



9 comments:

  1. Hello, Li-san,

    I am looking forward to know "what kind of [Japanese] food is the most popular" in NYC. I am just wondering how do you find the data. Anyway, good luck for your podcast project!

    TA_S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, TA_S,

      There are so many Japanese food in NYC, so it's difficult to do a quantitative research. Instead, our group tries to do a qualitative research in the restaurant we choose :)

      Li

      Delete
  2. ああ、おもしろいポストですよ。Communication is a good and excellent way to learn from others. Good point there. This "contact zone" theory sounds extremely interesting to me. Keep up the nice work. (Also, Asian History and Asian History?! Twice?? Oh my, what an interest! But cool, I'm also have an interest into history as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ありがとうございました
      "Asian History and Asian History" should be a mistake _(:з」∠)_My field is East Asian History
      ^ ^
      Anyway, there are a lot of classes of Asian History in the department of East Asian Languages and Cultures~They are very interesting!!!

      Delete
    2. So I see. (ノ゚▽゚)ノ high five.
      Cool cool. Are there now? A lot?! I should check them out then!

      Delete
  3. Li さん こんにちわ

    I totally understand the situation you described and I think the majority of the international students encounter such problems. It takes time to become accustomed to the second language environment and you will finally be comfortable with it. Since you are in Asian History major, there must be many opportunities for you to express your ideas whether in class or after class. Take those chances and practice. I'm pretty sure you will soon be fine:)

    一緒に頑張て!

    グー

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ありがとうございました!!!
      とても優しいですね!!!

      I think I am lucky that a lot of students in EALAC are learning Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, so they can understand how hard it is to learn an unfamiliar language. I will give myself more time to adapt to a new environment.

      You are right! Actually, it's so interesting to listen to other students' ideas about Asia> <
      So different from what I learned in high school and undergrad school in China.

      頑張ります^^

      Delete
  4. Liさん、

    This "contact zone" idea is an interesting one. Since it's a historical theory, I assume it is used to describe trading posts and centers of commerce where people from different lands who speak different tongues come together to trade? That's where I think a lot of cultural diffusion to take place. I know that at Columbia, there's a semi-weekly Japanese chat club where fluent japanese speakers wanting to learn English and fluent English speakers taking Japanese can come together to try and communicate using the languages they are learning. I feel like this is, itself, a "contact zone," although it's a bit artificial. Perhaps instead of drinking tea, we should have a marketplace instead where we try to sell each other goods! Needing the ability to haggle would be, in my mind, a strong motivator for learning a new language.

    Anyway, I look forward to your NYC restaurant reviews!

    ラーナー

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ラーナー san,

      You're right, trade is a very important part of "contact zone."
      The theory of "contact zone" played an important role in the nineteenth-century Asian Studies.Now scholars try to prove that instead of a relationship between aggression and struggle, there was a "zone" where different people could communicate with each other ^ ^ I went to the chat club several times. It's very interesting!!! And your idea is cool!!! It's not easy to find Manga in Japanese in NYC T^T

      ありがとうございました。

      りー

      Delete